Comprehensive Experience In Workers’ Compensation Defense
Different work injury claims require different strategies. At Walsh and Hacker, our law firm is a leader in New York workers’ compensation defense.
Cases We Handle
Our attorneys have handled every type of case in our 40-plus years of practice:
Workplace Accident and Injury – The injury may be evident, but did it occur in the scope of the employee’s normal duties? What is the prognosis and time frame for recovery? (I.e., what is the exposure for disability coverage?)
Such accidents may include, but not be limited to:
- Orthopedic injuries (broken arms, leg fractures, etc.)
- Severed fingers (permanent partial disability)
- Spinal cord injuries (paralysis, loss of use or sensation)
- Back injuries (herniated disc)
- Sprains, strains and soft-tissue injuries
- Burns and lacerations (disfigurement)
- Eye injury or hearing damage
- Permanent disability/total industrial disability
Occupational Disease – A cumulative injury not tied to a specific workplace incident raises the question of whether it is work-related. Such occupational diseases may include, but not be limited to:
- Repetitive stress injury (carpal tunnel, rotator cuff)
- Toxic exposure (lung disease, brain damage)
Mental Health Claims – Stress-induced disability (“mental-health”) claims put a high burden of proof on the employee, but once the claim is certified, the employer’s exposure can linger on and on.
- Depression (job stress, hostile work environment)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from a work-related event
Heart Attack – Although the employee collapsed at work, medical evidence may show that it was not work-induced but a pre-existing “time bomb” condition.
Death Claims – Family members are entitled to death benefits if the cause of death was a covered event or illness.
No employer wants to deny a claim to a legitimately injured employee. But there are workers who fake a work injury claim, lie to cover up an injury sustained on personal time, or exaggerate their disability long after they should be back on the job.
Learn About Your Available Options
Contact Walsh and Hacker online or call (518) 463-1269 to discuss your case or strategies to avoid future litigation. We represent employers, insurers and third-party administrators throughout New York.